Monday, December 27, 2010

A Christmas Miracle

I finally made it home on Christmas morning!

After missing my British Airways flight on Monday because it took 3.5 hours to get to the airport in stead of just 45 minutes, I was switched to an Air France flight on Friday to go through Paris to get home. Luck just so had it, though, that this flight was delayed by 3.5 hours and I wasn't going to make it to my connecting flight in the city of love. My initial frustration over this soon turned into gratitude, though, because I caught sight of a flight directly to Zurich on Swiss, leaving just an hour later that the one to Paris. My thought process went something like this: "If I leave here an hour later, fly directly to Zurich, I would get there at... No chance of getting stuck in French-land. And then drive home... I have to get on that flight!" So I ran around Terminal E for a bit and got myself a hand-written ticket to the Swiss flight. The flimsy peice of paper didn't look convincing, but it worked in the end and I thanked the heavens.

Here are some of the joys I experienced while I waited at the airport for 8 hours:
  • I knit a second mitten to make a match for the first one.
  • Got an evil glare from a toddler. I think he was jealous of my jogurt.
  • Watched a toddler practice his dancing skills.
  • Was told from an airport worker that I could only bring my needles if I had a medical reason like Diabetes. I had asked about knitting needles... Afraid of falling to the floor from laughter, I just said "ok, thanks" and walked away :)
  • Called home a few times.
  • Watched two grown men work together to move a little Air France flag about 2 inches. (Glad we're paying them to do their jobs so well)
  • Heard the same five Christmas songs over and over and over and over and over again!
  • Learned that you can follow Boston Logan on facebook and twitter. (um, why?)
  • Got to stand in one of those fancy new TSA screening machines and had my bag checked with a spiffy wand that gets plugged into a computer to tell the very thorough security man that there were no allerts detected in there.
When I got home, I was welcomed by a beautiful snowy winter wonderland.

No comments: