Sunday, March 13, 2011

Peeking past Me

It isn't right that we can hear about death and destruction one minute and completely move on in the next minute. Why aren't we moved more by the news we see and hear? How have our hearts, eyes, ears been so numbed that it has become normal to see disasters all around us?

Sure, you can't fix every problem and if we were to worry about everything we ever heard about, we wouldn't have time to do anything else. But I wonder what would happen if we cared just a little bit more. What would happen if we were actually struck by what is going on in the world around us? How can we see what is happening and not be more thankful for what we have? That we still have anything...

This is a link to interactive before and after photos of different areas of Japan hit by the Tsunami. Seeing these pictures makes me want to be more passionate about the world around me. It's too easy to get caught up in my own little world and worry too much about my problems. I don't like that I can watch these life shattering events take place, feel bad for a bit, say a prayer for the people, and then start complaining about how hard my own life is. When all I can see is me, there's no way I can have eyes, ears, a heart for others. Why is it so easy to get caught up in our own selfish selves?

No comments: