Babysitting on Mother's Day is awkward.
Especially when you're 23 and you're taking care of a 1.5 year-old. To passers by it might look like this beautiful little bundle of joy is mine (and a small part of me is flattered that they would think so). I mean it would be possible. It's not a completely crazy though from an outsiders' point of view. However, it also makes the experience slightly more uncomfortable than going for a walk with the stroller on any other day.
You see, there isn't enough time to say "Oh thanks, but she's not mine, I'm just babysitting. But thanks anyway, I guess? I hope you have a nice day, too..." when a kind stranger on a bike shouts "Happy Mother's Day!" as he speeds by.
One father, playing with his two daughters at the park wished me a happy Mother's Day and I was so caught off guard and confused that I just said "You, too...?", laughed uncomfortably, and turned to walk away as quickly as Poco's little baby legs would carry her. What was I supposed to say?! I did hope he would have a happy day.
Also, playgrounds are really only fun if you're small enough to play on them. As the adult who had to watch a 4 year-old and the 1.5 year-old run around, slide, jump off things, climb up other things, swing, have melt-downs, shout at other kids, etc. for 2 hours, I am here to tell you that it's not so fun. Not only do you have to be on your guard like a hawk in case someone falls or gets into a potentially dangerous situation, you have to do this in front of all the other parents who are secretly judging your child care skills. (You know it's true. You're doing the same thing to the lady who is angrily shouting at her kid to "Challenge yourself! Climb up the rope ladder! Do it! You're not allowed to do anything else until you've gone up here!!")
Lastly, playground small talk with the grown-ups is not so great when you're the babysitter who doesn't see the kids all that often and therefore doesn't know the answers to many questions. Everyone is still assuming that these munchkins are my own flesh and blood, though, so they go right ahead: "How old is she?" (uhhh... 1.5? I'm not a horrible parent, just the babysitter.) "That's a really cute skirt she's wearing! Where did you get it?" (No clue... Just the babysitter.) "Wow! She's really strong for her age!" (Sure, I guess so? But what do I know? I'm just the babysitter.) "I bet this girl's mommy could tell you her name..." (Yep, I bet she could. And so can I, the babysitter.)
I think people were feeling especially aware of mommies, which is fine. It was Mother's Day after all. And, really, these people were just being friendly and kind. But it did make a beautiful day at the park more tiring than I had expected!
1 comment:
ahhahaha love the rope lady.
Yeah, being mistaken for a mom is kinda awkward, but it's still fun to be paid to hang out with cute kids :)
Post a Comment