Friday, June 22, 2012

I love human beings

Being alone can be great. Within moderation. Sometimes it's really nice to come home from a busy day, slouch on the couch and not have to talk to anyone else that day unless you really want to. And some people can handle being alone much better than others. Personally, I'm more of a 'spend most of my time with others' kind of person, so I reach my limit of alone time pretty quickly. This fact makes weekends like this one (where my darling roomie is away for 5 (FIVE!) days and I'm not teaching for the summer) pure agony for me!

Yesterday was particularly bad, so I decided something needed to be done. I went to the mall because there are always lots of people there and even if I don't talk to them, they are humans and I like to be around them. At the mall, I gave in to the Teavana lady and tried both of her teas. I even let her tell me all about both of them and we had a lovely little chat about the two different cinnamon teas that are actually mixed together. One is spicier than the other... Going into the store seemed like it would turn into a trap where I would have to fake a phone call about my cat being run over so that I could leave, so my excuse was "Well, I'm actually on my way to Lush and then I have to run, so sorry..." Turns out, Teavana girl is a big fan of Lush, we had a mini-conversation about how wonderful their products are and I bolted. Next door. Into Lush.


Now, Lush is a place that I usually have to mentally prepare myself for because - let's face it - those sales ladies know how to talk! And they know lots of fun facts about just about anything you might mention, so you're never safe. But since yesterday was my worst day without human contact thus far, I decided to take on the chattiness. I did end up buying a face scrub, but that's sort of what I was going there for (besides talking to another human being). Plus, this sales lady was actually super nice, was wearing really cute shoes, and gave me four free samples. Score!


To round off my social interactions, I went to the grocery store and DIDN'T use the scanner thing or go through the self check-out lane. I went to a regular line with a cashier, engaged in the typical small talk (the heat, yes I found everything ok, I do have a stop & shop card, aren't these sunflowers gorgeous?!). But then it got even better. She let me in on some store gossip. Apparently, the same gentleman comes in the store every day (usually earlier than when I was there, so I got lucky), asks for all his groceries to be put in paper bags and then into double plastic bags. Crazy. And then he goes and complains about something. Every day. Nuts. Yes. And I was there for it yesterday. There was shouting and wild hand gestures. I should use the regular check out lanes more often...

On a completely different note: Can we just talk about how wonderful grandparents are? I mean, really. There's nothing a sweet message from your grampy can't fix. Hearing his loving voice say: Hello there sunshine. I saw you called yesterday. I missed you. I'm sorry about that. This is GPOP, in case you didn't recognize my voice. Well, I'll be around if you want to call me back. And then I have bocce ball at 7. From 7-8. I love you! How does that not just make your heart overflow with joy?! I saved the message, it was so good. I'm telling you, my grandpa is without a doubt the best, kindest, most patient and loving man I know. I am a very lucky girl to have him.
My grandpa is better than your grandpa.

No comments: