Monday, March 8, 2010

To Fruit and Friendship

These past few days have been so wonderful and almost magical that I'm afraid to ruin them and burst my little happy-bubble by talking/writing about them. The truth is that I might not even have the words to describe just how beautiful and refreshing it's been. Spending time with one of my favourite people and just being in her presence has been so comforting and rejuvenating on a deep-down level that I don't believe can be described, so I'm not even going to try to say more than that.

Here are some of the things we did that can be put into words:

  • WALKING! Oh my days, we walked everywhere! I got to DC on Friday and there has not been one day where we did not walk across at least half the city! Washington is beautiful right now and it's so fun to be able to explore the sights and the city on foot.
  • CAFES: There are so many great opportunities for delicious coffee and we have hit up a good number of them without once going to any of the big name ones. This is so much more fun and feels like I'm getting a real piece of DC living and it's people.
  • EASTERN MARKET: This is a market (with food, clothes, art, jewelry, etc.) that is very close to the apartment and is full of culture and beautiful people. We bought fresh fruit and veggies here for at least two meals. There's nothing like investing in neighborhood friends!
  • GEORGETOWN: Probably the coolest, hippest part of town, home to cupcakes, clothes, music, murals, alleys, a huge boat out of water, furniture, and much, much more! This place is not about the sights but about sounds and smells more than anything else. It's beautiful!
  • RANDOM SIGHTINGS: Apparently it was the right time to be here because there was a whole group of wonderful college family friends in the city, too, who just happened to spot us as we got out of the metro they were in! (what are the odds?!) So we met up with them and spent a fabulous few hours with them.
  • HISTORY & POWER: It's everywhere in this city. Everyone you see could be important and talking about some world changing idea. Kind of nuts. Also, I'm pretty sure we saw Mr. Obama's helicopter drop him off at his house earlier today. No big deal. Other exciting news in this category: We had lunch at the table that President Obama ate at for his "first meal in public upon moving to DC just a few days before his inauguration" and I am now the proud owner of a library card for the Library of Congress. Yep. :)

No comments: