Sunday, November 8, 2009

That time God showed up

I lead worship at my church this morning aand was blown away by God's presence. People always say that "Where two or three gather, He is there, too", but today, this morning, it was so obvious to me that God had joined us in church today.
For starts, we hadn't practiced at all. The band we had this morning had never playeed together before 9am today. But then when we played through the songs to practice for the first time, everything just worked out. There was no fuss or confusion, everyone just seemed to know what to do when and did it. And it worked.
Then, it was amazing to watch the songs come together with the sermon and other talky bits that went on. I kept trying of things to say in between songs or to introduce the next block of music, but it had all already been said because it all just worked together so well. There is no way that I could have picked all the right songs just by chance. I had no idea what the sermon was going to be about. All I had were the bible passages and then just trusted that the songs I picked would be ok. Trust me, they were more than ok. They were perfect.
Lastly, we were able to create such a wonderful atmosphere for the congregation to come into and to meet up with our Savior. If you know my church, my amazement at that fact will make much more sense to you. The thing is, my church likes to do things "the right way", using a lot of liturgy and written prayers and rules. In some cases that can be ok. However, when you're trying to worship Jesus, it can often make it feel restricted and uncomfortable. People don't really "get into" the worship songs much. But today, there were some serious Holy Spirit moments where I felt the whole church body come together and just praise our Lord. It was beautiful.

Right now, Britt Nicole's song "Set the world on fire" is my theme song. The lyrics basically speak my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HztHWlNkQ5Q&feature=related

Last Friday was the kick off of the after school kids program for 11 to 13 year-olds and it was so much fun. We had 10 kids (not a crazy number, but a good start) who were very excited to be there and had a great time. I'm so excited to keep working with them and getting to know them, hopefully showing them a few more pieces of God's love for them. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: