Sunday, November 1, 2009

Wow, I'm really no good at keeping this updated!

Here goes:

It's one of my favourite times of the year now: the city-wide fall fair time! No matter where you go in the city (pretty much...), there are stands with merchants trying to sell hats or tea cups or vegetable peelers (?!) or food stands that are filled with sugary treats or super-cheesy (there's a nice swiss cliche for ya!) snacks. There are also lots of rides all around with music playing loudly. Basically, it's just one big party for two weeks! One of my classes is in a building right next to the ferris wheel, so I get very distracted from watching all the little cabins go by so that people can get a birds-eye view of the city. Not exactly sure, what the professor said, but that's ok.
The other day I walked into another one of my lecture halls and it smelt of sugar and cotton candy! It was great. Basically, the whole city is covered in this thin fog of sugar that makes every street smell like a candy shop. Very exciting :)


the ferris wheel in front of the cathedral by night :)

I'm reading "Under the Overpass" by Mike Yanoski. If you haven't read it, you probably should. It's eye opening. There was one part that really struck me while I was reading the other day, so I figured I could share (this isn't the whole thing, but just the most important bits. Sam and Mike just received half a pepperoni pizza from a guy after asking him if he was going to finish it):
We sat watching people walk by, thinking about pizza and thankfulness. "What do you think would have happened if the Israelites hadn't gone out and picked up the manna God sent?" I asked. " And your meaning is?" asked Sam.
"I mean, don't you think they would have starved if they never actually went out and picked the manna off the ground?"
Sam looked at me as if I had pepperoni poisoning. Finally he responded. "Yeah probably. They had to eat, and God was providing, but - yes - they had to go out and pick it up."
[...]
"Just like you said," I continued, "we'd be a lot more hungry if we hadn't asked for that pizza. God answered our prayers for provision, but we still had to ask these guys for it. We still had to 'pick up the manna.'"
Now Sam was nodding. "I wonder how much we miss because we're unwilling to pick it up. That verse in Matthew, 'Knock and the door will be opened,' why have the door opened if you don't walk through?"
I don't want to miss things because I'm too lazy to pick them up. I want to have my eyes and ears open and be ready to go collect what God is providing for me.

1 comment:

christine said...

hello!
I wish I could be there to see the fair! It sounds like a beautiful time of year.
I read Under The Overpass. It is a very good book. I'm glad you're liking it and learning from it.
keep writing updates, and maybe we can skype soon :)